Mural Detail, The World of Radio
In 1920, the Westinghouse Electric Company set up the first radio transmitting station to regularly broadcast scheduled programming from a rooftop shack above its Pittsburgh manufacturing facility—the small building on the left. On November 2, 1920, this station, KDKA, made the nation’s first radio broadcast of the results of a U.S. Presidential election, announcing the victory of Warren G. Harding over James M. Cox.
To the right is the original 500-watt WJZ transmitter that Westinghouse installed in Newark, New Jersey in 1921.
It is credited
Gift of Nicholas Meredith Turner in memory of Jessica Dragonette.
This object was previously on display as a part of the exhibition The World of Radio.