Reproduction, The White House, Northend
In 1938, Kauffer and Dorn leased a weekend cottage in the English countryside called the White House, where they retreated full time after World War II began the following year. With few commissions coming in, the couple lived off the land and found comfort in reading, writing letters, and visits from friends, including T. S. Eliot and their neighbors Harold Curwen and Jack and Olivia Beddington. Kauffer converted a small shed into a studio and photographed the surrounding landscape.
It is credited
© The Wormsley Library.
Its dimensions are
H x W: 31.8 × 34.3 cm (12 1/2 × 13 1/2 in.)
This object was previously on display as a part of the exhibition Underground Modernist: E. McKnight Kauffer.