Drawing, Design for a Salt Cellar and Egg Dish with Fork and Spoon
This is a drawing. It was attributed to Ottavio Strada and studio of Francesco Salviati. It is dated ca. 1570 and we acquired it in 1996. Its medium is pen and brown ink, brush and brown wash, charcoal or black chalk traces, ruled lines in leadpoint on cream laid paper. It is a part of the Drawings, Prints, and Graphic Design department.
The acquisition of this contemporary copy, after a lost Salviati original, would fill a gap in our collection of Italian Renaissance decorative arts material. This drawing will be featured in the exhibition prepared by Cooper-Hewitt’s curators in conjunction with students of the Cooper Hewitt/Parsons Masters Program in the History of Decorative Arts, Disegno: Italian Renaissance Designs for the Decorative Arts (February 11–May 18, 1997). The exhibition, which will be seen by Renaissance decorative arts and drawings scholars and the general public, along with its related catalog, will provide a unique opportunity to study the drawing in a larger context in order to reach new conclusions about its attribution and its relationship to similar designs that appear to come from the same studio.
It is credited
Museum purchase from Smithsonian Institution Collections Acquisition Program and General Acquisitions Endowment Funds.
Its dimensions are
42.9 x 27.9 cm (16 7/8 x 11 in.)
It has the following markings
Watermark: cross bow with loop, encircled (Briquet 759, Rome c. 1562-1563)
It is inscribed
Inscribed in pen and brown ink on the plan across bottom: questo e la forma e il garbo che si ha / adare all saliera e ovarola (this is the form and graceful style that must be used on the saltcellar and egg dish); annotated in pen and brown ink at upper right: -6-
Cite this object as
Drawing, Design for a Salt Cellar and Egg Dish with Fork and Spoon; Attributed to Ottavio Strada (Italian, 1550 – 1612); Italy; pen and brown ink, brush and brown wash, charcoal or black chalk traces, ruled lines in leadpoint on cream laid paper; 42.9 x 27.9 cm (16 7/8 x 11 in.); Museum purchase from Smithsonian Institution Collections Acquisition Program and General Acquisitions Endowment Funds; 1996-20-1
This object was previously on display as a part of the exhibition Feeding Desire: Design and the Tools of the Table, 1500-2005.