Decanter And Stopper (Ireland), ca. 1810–15
By the end of the seventeenth century the Irish glass industry was driven by companies specializing in a brilliant crystal-like glass that used ground flint as a source of silica. Irish glass became famous for its rich, faceted surface that sparkled in the light - the result of a wide variety of new cutting motifs.
The pillar and arch design seen in this decanter was typical of work produced at the Waterford glass house, as was the fine diamond-pattern cutting style and the presence of a star within each arch. These patterns can also be found on pickle jars, wine glasses and other table wares. Many Irish decanters of the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries have rings around the neck. The triple ring was the one usually employed at Waterford. Rings were applied to mould-blown decanters for the purpose of ensuring a firm grip on the neck.
This object was
Walter Phelps Warren.
It is credited
Bequest of Walter Phelps Warren.
Its dimensions are
21.7 x 12 cm (8 9/16 x 4 3/4 in.)
Cite this object as
Decanter And Stopper (Ireland), ca. 1810–15; glass; 21.7 x 12 cm (8 9/16 x 4 3/4 in.); Bequest of Walter Phelps Warren; 1986-61-141-a,b