Gloves (Italy), 18th century
This is a Gloves. It is dated 18th century and we acquired it in 1962. Its medium is silk, metallic yarns, spangles and its technique is knitted, sewn, and embroidered. It is a part of the Textiles Department department.
Gloves are one of the only items of liturgical apparel not derived from Greek antecedents. They probably came into wide use in the 16th century, when Spain became a center for silk knitting. Almost all of the surviving examples in museum collections are of knitted silk, and many are ornamented on the back of the hand with a knitted or embroidered IHS monogram in gold.
Liturgical gloves are permitted to be worn by the Pope, Archbishops, and Cardinals on special feast days or for processions. The use of the color red may refer to rank, red indicating a cardinal, or to the feast day on which the gloves were worn. The liturgical color calendar was established in 1570 under Pious V, and dictated that white be worn for the celebration of mass during the Christmas and Easter seasons, violet for Advent and Lent, and red for Pentacost and Martyr’s days as a symbol of suffering.
This object was
Richard Cranch Greenleaf (American, 1887–1961).
It is credited
Bequest of Richard Cranch Greenleaf in memory of his mother, Adeline Emma Greenleaf.
Our curators have highlighted 2 objects that are related to this one.
Its dimensions are
H x W (each): 26 x 14 cm (10 1/4 x 5 1/2 in.)
Cite this object as
Gloves (Italy), 18th century; silk, metallic yarns, spangles; H x W (each): 26 x 14 cm (10 1/4 x 5 1/2 in.); Bequest of Richard Cranch Greenleaf in memory of his mother, Adeline Emma Greenleaf; 1962-55-19-a,b