Drawing, Le Castel D'Orgeval au Parc de Beausejour, no. 6, 1904
This is a Drawing. It was architect: Hector Guimard. It is dated 1904 and we acquired it in 1950. Its medium is pen and black, red ink, red, green color pencil, graphite on heavy tracing paper. It is a part of the Drawings, Prints, and Graphic Design department.
French architect and designer Hector Guimard was a leading proponent of the Art Nouveau movement that prevailed across Europe from around 1890 to 1910. He and his contemporaries aspired to create a style suitable for the new modern age. Art Nouveau was characterized by the use of asymmetry, “whiplash” curves, and forms that represented the tensions and transformation of the natural world. The Castel D’Orgeval, designed as the home and office of the Laurents, who wanted the area of Parc Beauséjour to feature avant-garde modern architecture, is an archetypal example of this style, and of Guimard in particular. The design is a true Gusamtkunstwerk, or total work of art, as displayed by the details of curved window panes, and the view at lower left revealing a circular stairway with curved, ornamental banister. The asymmetric pediment rooves and specific placement of stones to frame windows and create surface patterns create the dynamism typical of the art movement—granting life to an inanimate design. Even the hand-written descriptive notes provide a glimpse of the elongated and organic forms of Art Nouveau graphics.
It is credited
Gift of Mme. Hector Guimard.
Its dimensions are
52.5 x 50 cm (20 11/16 x 19 11/16 in.)
It is signed
Signed in black ink, lower right: Hector Guimard.
It is inscribed
In black ink, upper margin: LE CASTEL D'ORGEVAL AU PARC DE BEAUSEJOUR / NO. 6/ PROPRI T DE MR LAURENT / FA ADE PRINCIPAL; lower right: Paris Le Septembre 1904 / L'ARCHITECTE / Hector Guimard; building notations throughout
Cite this object as
Drawing, Le Castel D'Orgeval au Parc de Beausejour, no. 6, 1904; Architect: Hector Guimard (French, 1867–1942); France; pen and black, red ink, red, green color pencil, graphite on heavy tracing paper; 52.5 x 50 cm (20 11/16 x 19 11/16 in.); Gift of Mme. Hector Guimard; 1950-66-2