N.Y.C. Dept of Water Supply, Gas and Electricity
Initially founded as the New York Board of Water Supply in 1905, the New York City Department of Water Supply, Gas and Electricity was the predecessor of the present-day Department of Environmental Protection. During the Great Depression of the 1930s, the DWSGE employed numerous Works Projects Administration workers; one of its chief accomplishments of the period was the assembly of a water waste force to study and propose solutions for water use and waste in the city. In the year surrounding World War II, the Department also launched a WPA poster campaign to discourage residents from wasting water, as well as bolstering the already-established Water Waste Force assembled in 1934 . In 1958, the DWSGE... more.