Fostoria Glass Company
For nearly a hundred years, Fostoria Glass Company produced pressed, blown, and hand-molded glass- and tableware. The company was founded by L.B. Martin and W.S. Brady in Fostoria, Ohio on land donated by the townspeople. The area's natural gas was depleted quickly, causing Fostoria Glass to relocate to Moundsville, West Virginia in 1891. Moundsville was selected because of the region’s access to coal, used as an alternative fuel for the glass plant; Moundsville also offered the firm a $10,000 cash grant as incentive for the move. At Moundsville, Fostoria erected a furnace that could fire up to fourteen pieces of glass at a time, a considerable capacity for the period (this furnace remained in use until... more.