Cooper Hewitt says...
Venini Glassworks, originally founded as Cappellin Venini & C. by Paolo Venini and Giacomo Cappellin in 1921, is arguably one of the best-known manufacturers of fine Italian art glass and lighting. The company hired Italian painter Vittorio Zecchin as its first art director. Throughout its history, Venini used major national and international expositions to introduce its wares to a worldwide audience and to create an export market for premium examples.
The founders parted ways in the mid-1920s and VSM Venini & C. and MVM Cappellin & C. were established separately; Venini was led by its new artistic director and sculptor Napoleone Martinuzzi. By the early 1930s, Paolo Venini—who had studied the techniques of artistic directors and artisans from early on—took an increasingly visible role in the company’s artistic direction. Carlo Scarpa arrived in 1932, and took the position of artistic director until 1946, designing lamps, domestic designs and objets d’art.
Early Venini glass reflects the Art Deco style the company helped to popularize. Venini was also known as a place where artists could collaborate with Venetian glass artisans to pursue their own visions in glass. The company worked with many major designers including Gio Ponti, Carlo Scarpa, Ettore Sottsass, Fulvio Bianconi, and others.
Venini was a pioneer who introduced what today is known as mid-century modern design, especially with lighting using glass in colors associated with 1950's modernism. Venini designs have simple shapes and striking colors. Paolo Venini died in 1959, but the firm continues in Murano, collaborating with artists and designers .