Object Timeline

1935

  • Work on this object began.

2016

2020

  • You found it!

Pepper Shaker And Stopper, ca. 1935

This is a Pepper Shaker and Stopper. It was designed by William E. Lescaze and manufactured by Revere Copper and Brass Company. It is dated ca. 1935 and we acquired it in 2016. Its medium is rolled and pierced stainless steel. It is a part of the Product Design and Decorative Arts department.

This object was donated by George R. Kravis II. It is credited Gift of George R. Kravis II.

  • Bowl (USA), ca. 1928
  • electro-plated nickel silver.
  • Museum purchase from Decorative Arts Association Acquisition and General....
  • 1993-111-2

Our curators have highlighted 4 objects that are related to this one. Here are three of them, selected at random:

  • Salt Shaker, 1935
  • polished and pierced aluminum.
  • Gift of George R. Kravis II.
  • 2016-5-15-a,b
  • Pepper Shaker, 1935
  • polished and pierced aluminum.
  • Gift of George R. Kravis II.
  • 2016-5-16-a,b

Its dimensions are

H x W x D: 4.5 × 5.5 × 1.5 cm (1 3/4 × 2 3/16 × 9/16 in.)

It has the following markings

On underside of base: stamped Revere

Cite this object as

Pepper Shaker And Stopper, ca. 1935; Designed by William E. Lescaze (American, b. Switzerland, 1896–1969); rolled and pierced stainless steel; H x W x D: 4.5 × 5.5 × 1.5 cm (1 3/4 × 2 3/16 × 9/16 in.); Gift of George R. Kravis II; 2016-5-26-a,b

This object was previously on display as a part of the exhibition Energizing the Everyday: Gifts From the George R. Kravis II Collection.

There are restrictions for re-using this image. For more information, visit the Smithsonian’s Terms of Use page.

For higher resolution or commercial use contact ArtResource.

If you would like to cite this object in a Wikipedia article please use the following template:

<ref name=CH>{{cite web |url=https://www-6.collection.cooperhewitt.org/objects/420556949/ |title=Pepper Shaker And Stopper, ca. 1935 |author=Cooper Hewitt, Smithsonian Design Museum |accessdate=30 March 2020 |publisher=Smithsonian Institution}}</ref>