Charger (France), 1740–1760
This is a Charger. It was manufactured by Olérys and Laugier's pottery factory. It is dated 1740–1760 and we acquired it in 2008. Its medium is tin-glazed earthenware. It is a part of the Product Design and Decorative Arts department.
Faïence from Moustiers, France, a town in the Alpine area in the southeast of France, has been made since at least the 16th century. The dynastic families of Clérissy, Olery, and Laugier grew to flourish in the production of high- and low-temperature fired earthenware of especially artistic creativity in the late 17th and 18th centuries. A monastic Prior and economist of Italian origin, Lazzaro Porri is thought to have brought the formula for tin-glazed enamel to the Clérissy family in 1671. Artistic creativity and an increasing range of coloration developed during the 18th century.
Certain motifs are associated with Moustiers and its environs. Engraved sources, such as Callot, are frequent. These decorated ceramics are known to have been sought after in their day. This is evident by the signatures often gracing the wares and by the industry that subsequently developed to both continue and imitate the styles
This object was
Eugene V. Thaw.
It is credited
Gift of Eugene V. and Clare E. Thaw.
Our curators have highlighted 3 objects that are related to this one.
Its dimensions are
H x diam.: 3.8 x 36.5 cm (1 1/2 x 14 3/8 in.)
It has the following markings
On underside, conjoined script monogram: OLP. Paper label: "Wm H Plummer & Co. Ltd. New York City/Antique Dept/Moustiers 1775"
Cite this object as
Charger (France), 1740–1760; Manufactured by Olérys and Laugier's pottery factory ; tin-glazed earthenware; H x diam.: 3.8 x 36.5 cm (1 1/2 x 14 3/8 in.); Gift of Eugene V. and Clare E. Thaw; 2008-40-8